- Your statutory privacy rights.
- What personal information is collected from you by Tenk Tatum LLP, how it is used, how it is stored and with whom it may be shared.
- What choices are available to you regarding the use of your data and information.
- The security procedures in place to protect against the misuse of your information.
- How you can correct any inaccuracies in the information that you share with Tenk Tatum LLP.
Your Privacy Rights
All businesses engaged in commercial activities must comply with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA, the “Act”). These obligations extend to lawyers and law firms, including Tenk Tatum LLP. The Act gives you rights concerning the privacy of your personal information. Tenk Tatum LLP is responsible for the personal information we collect and hold. To ensure this accountability, we have developed this policy, and have trained our lawyers and support staff for compliance with our policies and practices.
Information Collection, Use, and Sharing
At the outset of the lawyer-client relationship, will collect personal information from clients in order to meet our professional obligations, such as client identification requirements and performing the conflict checks required by the Law Society of Ontario.
Throughout the course of our retainer, we will use your information to respond to your questions, to provide legal advice and services to you, to administer our client databases, and to meet our professional obligations.
Tenk Tatum LLP endeavors to limit the collection of personal information to the information needed to provide legal advice and services.
We are the sole users of the information we collect from you. We collect information only by lawful and fair means, and not in an unreasonably intrusive way. Wherever possible, we collect your personal information directly from you, both at the start of a retainer and in the course of our representation. We will not sell or rent this information to anyone. Under certain circumstances, Tenk Tatum LLP may disclose your information to a third party, such as:
- when we are required by law to do so (for example, where we are required to comply with a subpoena, warrant or court Order, or to comply with rules of court relating to the production of records);
- when you have consented to the disclosure;
- when the legal services we are providing to you require us to give your information to third parties (for example, drafting court records or retaining a dispute resolution professional), your consent will be implied, unless you tell us otherwise;
- where it is necessary to establish or collect fees;
- if we retain other law firms or experts to help with your matter at your request and on your behalf.
Storage of Information
Tenk Tatum LLP uses cloud computing. Where possible, we have taken steps to confirm that all data stored on cloud servers is stored exclusively in Canada.
We take all reasonable precautions and steps to protect your information. Only employees who need the information to perform a specific job (for example, billing or customer service) are granted access to personally identifiable information. The computers/servers in which we store personally identifiable information are kept in a secure environment.
Your Access to and Control Over Information
If you are a client of Tenk Tatum LLP, you can do the following at any time by contacting us via the email address or phone number given on our website:
- Learn what data we have about you, if any;
- Change or correct any data that we have about you;
- Request that we delete any data we have about you that we are not bound by law or professional regulations to keep; and/or
- Express any concern you have about our use of your data.